Allatonceness: New Media Project

 

Summer Living: A Romanticization Piece


Wild flowers I grew in the garden this summer for the bees


For this project, I wanted to do something that represented me but also included McLuhan's ideas of the global village.


“Ours is a brand-new world of allatonceness, “time” has ceased, “space” has vanished. We now live in a global village…a simultaneous happening…have had to shift our stress of attention from action to reaction (McLuhan 63).


Taking a step back to figure out what really impacted my life in such a way was my summer research as a beekeeper. It was a time where I was truly in a brand-new world of allatonceness. It was a time to experience, soak in, and reflect and something I honestly romanticized, so why not make this my project.


Cluster of bees I found that split from the hives


Throughout the making of this project, I wanted to capture the flipping through memories and that simple magic of dreaming. By keeping the media different, in size, frame, and type, I wanted to see if that gave that appeal of a dream, a memory lost in time, but forever a part of me. Including the backtrack of the “UP” marriage life song gave it this sad, but hopeful tone. In the end I was happy with the product, but I felt it lacked something. 

Me in my bee suit

Were there things I wish I had done better, of course. I wish the quality of the media was better when shared, or matching the sizes of the media to fit the screen more. However, I find that all these imperfect things add to the nostalgia of the project itself. The nostalgia of the memories, and the fact that this was my first film class ever and this was my final piece.


Me and my brother at a Packers Game

In the end though, I found that while watching the video, thoughts were going through my head as to what sparked joy throughout the viewing of my memories, so I thought, why not include those. So the final touch to my project was my voice, unscripted and once through, sharing with the viewer a summer to remember.


Click the link below to see my:

Final Project

Comments

Popular Posts