Me & My World

My journey in this world has been interesting to say the least. 

My world consists of love, imagination, magic, and creativity. Yet it also holds sadness, loss, and emptiness. That's what life is though, good and the bad. You have to learn to live with all of it, not just one or the other.

Starting from a young age I was blessed to have come into this world with a permanent best friend. To this day, I don’t know what I would have done without him there. 

Me and my twin brother Graham

I grew up in a single parent household, which meant for me that there wasn’t much time for childhood, only for growing up fast. “Growing up—that is our new work, and it is total” (McLuhan 18). It was just the three of us, the three musketeers, which is why my lucky number is three. 

Me, my mom, and my brother.

My world wouldn’t be the same without art. From it being painted on canvas, or notes on paper that get turned into wonderful music, I’ve been surrounded by it my entire life. “All media are extensions of some human faculty—psychic or physical” (McLuhan 26). The media of my world is magnificent, created with both mind and spirit. Without question, I come from an artistically musical world, and it's beautiful.

For me, my medium of choice has always been my love of the natural world and my art. 

At the root of that love is the fact that nature is art in itself. Mother nature produces scene after scene, glory after glory. It is truly an eternal masterpiece. “All media work us over completely. They are so pervasive in their personal, political, economic, aesthetic, psychological, moral, ethical, and social consequences that they leave no part of us untouched, unaffected, unaltered, The medium is the massage” (McLuhan 26). 

Example of the art I create. Snapshots of the natural world

My art pushes me forward in this ever changing world of mine. Chaotic and messy as it may be, I wouldn’t change it for the world.




Comments

  1. I feel like I just got to know you again! I love to see how deeply your love for nature runs. I also agree that nature is a strong place for finding creative inspiration, plus, when you surround yourself this it so much, how could you NOT find ways to use it in your art. I didn't know you came from a single parent household and I didn't know until our first day in class that you had a twin brother. I can tell how much you love them and it filled with with joy. You have a special little family, Bella. I can see why your such lovely person; you're surrounded by two people who also fill you with love. Amazing 1st post. I can't wait to see what you write next!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your personal background about your family with us <3 When my parents got divorced and my life was split into two separate two-person households, I also felt the McLuhan quote you included about growing up. I think raising a child is inevitably more than a one person job, so those of us with only one parent in our households had to share some of that load with them, which meant being both parent and child to ourselves. I feel like that work becomes less "total" when you can share it with your brother, and when being alone with my mom helped me learn how to be alone with my dad. Feeling grateful for groups of threes, in whatever form they take.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow! this was a very informative and well-put-together post. Thank you so much for sharing about your life and all the wonderful things that come with it! I really enjoyed that you the addition of your artwork and the cohesion of nature and art and the reasons why that style/ medium speaks to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love your thoughts about nature, and I totally agree that mother nature creates a lot of beauty and glory. Also, I really love your painting. It is vivid and reminds me of what nature scenes look like. I also like your last paragraph that describes your art and world. It is important to keep the original intention and not be affected by the chaos outside.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts