Soundscape: Daydreaming

The Art in Daydreaming 

Sky from Main Hall Green

Seals in Newport Oregon

Ocean in Newport Oregon



Lately I’ve been finding myself dozing off while doing my work. Not necessarily sleeping, but daydreaming. I’ve been picturing myself on the green in the spring, back in Oregon on the coast, so I decided why not incorporate this into my project. 


I often work in the café and one day it was quiet, yet busy, so I decided to start there. For a whole minute, I hit record watching the bustle of the café around me, drifting off into far off places of warmth and a time where spring was here. The sounds that surrounded me were all connected by a singular being, me.


“We are enveloped by sound. It forms a seamless web around us” (McLuhan 111).

 


As the café noise kept going, so did the sounds of my memories, almost if the sounds they came with were leading me astray. This reminded me of when McLuhan said, “Listeners could memorize with greater ease what was sung then what was said” (114). This notion couldn't be more true.


What we tend to forget in this world is how powerful sound really is. It gives us music, whispers, speech, memories, and so much more. We, as humans, tend to remember the music and the sound that things come with because when you hear a sound, our ears send it to our brain, which then stores it to memory. The mind creates and records a memory of that sound during that brief period so that we can recall it after the physical sound has stopped. Whether or not we are aware of the sound itself, this process is ongoing. “The ear world is a world of simultaneous relationship” (McLuhan 111) constantly guiding us to our next destination, may it be real or imaginary. 



Here's the link to my soundscape:


Daydreaming


Ocean in Portland Oregon


Comments

  1. I love your soundscape!! This exactly captures the feeling of working on homework in the cafe and zoning in and out of focus, my mind wondering to birds or waves or seals barking. It sounds exactly like my mind feels. I love how the background/'real world' seems to disappear, fade from existence as you move into the new daydream space. thank you for capturing this experience :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts